26-01-2016, 23:15   #1
Star training programme same each week?

I have just completed my 3rd week of 'improve fitness' programme with my ft80 and the star training programme is still wanting me to do the exact same training in week 4 as week 1 - 3.
When will the programme let me increase the intensity/time etc? Feel like im treading water a bit as from when i got the heart rate monitor ive had to do less intense exercise than i used to!
So far every week its said:
Zone 1 55min,
Zone 2 2hours
Zone 3 15min.

When will it let me progress? (every week i have exceeded the minimum time in each zone)

Thanks, Lynsey
lynseya is offline Reply With Quote
27-01-2016, 04:10   #2
Typically at week 5 or 6. If you are already fit, then you can choose "Maximize". Also, make sure you put in your real maximum heart rate (not 220-age). Otherwise your HR zones will be too low to be beneficial. Once you get your real maximum HR set, your zones will provide a decent work out and it will be a challenge to reach your weekly targets.

The STAR program is conservative. After a while you get used to it. Make sure you perform the fitness test once every few weeks (perhaps once a month) on the second of two consecutive rest days. If you overtrain, your HR variability will be lower than normal, and you will get erratic fitness (VO2max) values.
tgalati4 is offline Reply With Quote