Polar Discussion Forum will not be available after 31 May, 2018. Learn more.

04-10-2017, 12:18   #1
ungaro

polarpersonaltrainer.com - official Polar feedback on alternatives
Short answer: no alternatives
Long answer:

My question (facebook discussion):

Hi!

Is Polar going to offer an alternative to polarpersonaltrainer.com to existing FTxx users? I just purchased a brand new FT80 from an authorised Polar Dealer in my country and I have to say I am a bit upset about this news ... https://support.polar.com/en/updates...ly-in-may-2018

Polar's response:

Hi Cristian,

We are investing in developing the Flow services so I'm afraid no. If your device is brand new I suggest that you contact the dealer and ask if the product can be changed to Flow compatible product.

Apologies for the inconvenience this has caused.

Then this came:

The reason the transition is necessary is due to the fact that ppt.com will not be compliant with the upcoming EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), coming into effect on May 25th 2018.

I'll forward your feedback about this! Ans sorry again for the trouble.

Last edited by ungaro : 04-10-2017 at 13:31.
ungaro is offline Reply With Quote
04-10-2017, 13:07   #2
ELDIABLO1

Many thanks once again for your efforts Cristian.
Polar's response is quite appalling.
Just to see how it works, I just exported one of my earlier sessions from PPT to Polar Flow and was surprised to see that (a) the speed indicator has been replaced by the pace indicator; (b) the maximum speed indicator has not been included in the transferred data; and (c) there are separate graphs for the session's indicators unlike my preferred PPT-based superimposed charts.
I am a track and field sprinter and use the RCX5 to, among other things, to monitor my maximum speed throughout my sessions and then compare max speed vs max heart rate for the individual sprints.
If Polar Flow does not allow recording of the maximum speed indicator, then that is one more reason for me not to transfer any more data to it and not bother with any further purchase of any other Flow-compatible Polar product.
That's it. I am done.
EL DIABLO
ELDIABLO1 is offline Reply With Quote
04-10-2017, 13:29   #3
ungaro

Originally Posted by ELDIABLO1 View Post
Many thanks once again for your efforts Cristian.
Polar's response is quite appalling.
Just to see how it works, I just exported one of my earlier sessions from PPT to Polar Flow and was surprised to see that (a) the speed indicator has been replaced by the pace indicator; (b) the maximum speed indicator has not been included in the transferred data; and (c) there are separate graphs for the session's indicators unlike my preferred PPT-based superimposed charts.
I am a track and field sprinter and use the RCX5 to, among other things, to monitor my maximum speed throughout my sessions and then compare max speed vs max heart rate for the individual sprints.
If Polar Flow does not allow recording of the maximum speed indicator, then that is one more reason for me not to transfer any more data to it and not bother with any further purchase of any other Flow-compatible Polar product.
That's it. I am done.
EL DIABLO
I have suggested them a very simple idea to implement. Basically have the WebSync software updated so it will dump locally XML/CSV files with the data from the watch instead of connecting to ppt.com and pushing it there.

Once we have the XML/CSV files, we can use them as we want. It is a clean, simple and very easy to implement solution. I got a promise this will be forwarded to their developers for consideration.

You see, the code to extract the data from the watch exists in the current WebSync application. The code to export the sessions locally exists already online in ppt.com. All what they have to do is copy the export code in the WebSync client and test the damn thing.

To make it even more obvious that this works, some dude already did it back in 2010: http://tobint.com/blog/hacking-polar...sync-software/

Last edited by ungaro : 04-10-2017 at 13:32.
ungaro is offline Reply With Quote
04-10-2017, 13:45   #4
ELDIABLO1

Let us hope something good will come up to retain PPT in any form possible.
Thank you, Cristian, for being very proactive and informative.
EL DIABLO
ELDIABLO1 is offline Reply With Quote
04-10-2017, 15:59   #5
HErikH

This really makes me so mad!

I have two polar products (RCX5, M450) that I purchased for it's durability and versatility. Not to trow it away after 3.5 years (RCX5) of use! I always associated the Finnish company with high quality products that last years and years and had an eye for the environment. I never thought that the absence of the web interface would cause me any trouble in the use of the product. I trusted Polar to take care of their customers.

I never saw the use of having two platforms that existed next to each other with the two now working properly together. With the introduction of Flow I already had a slight suspicion. Why not update the interface of PPT to the Flow functionality. I mean, it's the same data that is processed (heart rate, GPS location) so why would the RCX5 data be incompatible with the flow interface?

I now use a M450 since I mainly cycle but how long will this last? When will Flow be abandoned with its products? I can still use my old Garmin Etrex Vista HCX from 2006(!!) on Garmin Connect so I know at least one company that does not play this trick with their customers.

Polar makes me throw away a perfectly fine functioning device for no reason other than to make us buy a new device. There is no excuse to not make the previous generation compatible with the flow interface. Websyc can upload the data perfectly well to Flow instead of PPT. Not making this possible really is a slap in the face of users that were loyal to the brand.

I was in the market for the V800 to replace the RCX5 after a crash but that one is off my list for sure.
HErikH is offline Reply With Quote
04-10-2017, 19:46   #6
bom72

Originally Posted by ungaro View Post
I have suggested them a very simple idea to implement. Basically have the WebSync software updated so it will dump locally XML/CSV files with the data from the watch instead of connecting to ppt.com and pushing it there.
Simply getting data out of the watch is not enough!

For us lucky ones running RCX3, RCX5 or CS500, the problem is not to get data out from the training computer. Training files can be exported stand-alone by using the "Training Computer" feature in the Polar WebSync software (https://www.polarpersonaltrainer.com....x_Help_EN.htm).

But as far as I can see it will not be possibile to schedule activities and set up phased training targets.

In my opinion it will make the watch next to useless for me.

/Tomas
bom72 is offline Reply With Quote
05-10-2017, 00:16   #7
dino88

IMHO, with purchasing a Polar product the customer and Polar have made a contract. The customer pays for the full functionality of the Polar product, i.e. the customer pays for the hardware device as well as for the needed software. In the Owner Manual for RC3 GPS is also thoroughly described the use with PPT. If Polar shut down PPT permanently without an alternative they break the contract because the hardware has no fully functionality anymore.
Originally Posted by ungaro View Post
The reason the transition is necessary is due to the fact that ppt.com will not be compliant with the upcoming EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), coming into effect on May 25th 2018.
This explanation from Polar seems to me as a lame excuse. According to the GDPR (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genera...ion_Regulation) Polar has had 2 years for generating an alternative, e.g. making Flow compatible to the old hardware devices. Obviously there was nothing done.

My RC3 GPS is now only 3.5 years old and this is not an adequate age for stopping the support and services in PPT. If Polar shut down the PPT I'll return my RC3 GPS to Polar and force the refund of the entire purchase price.

I'm very disappointed and annoyed. And I've no hope that Polar revise their decision.

Last edited by dino88 : 05-10-2017 at 00:44.
dino88 is offline Reply With Quote
09-01-2018, 06:51   #8
pukki81

Just makes it obvious polar products are nothing but toys. No real data analytics for any of their products. I bought the new A370, no training load function, no GPS altitude like the one that was later added on the polarpersonaltrainer (with rcx5 watch)

They keep changing the service name and making the old watches obsolute, and at the same time we lose all the training data.
pukki81 is offline Reply With Quote
09-01-2018, 15:14   #9
HErikH

On the otter hand, a few weeks after christmas you can pick up a m430 for a few tenners on ebay that can do all a rcx5 can do and more.
HErikH is offline Reply With Quote