Polar Discussion Forum will not be available after 31 May, 2018. Learn more.

26-08-2015, 16:24   #11
CaptainBill

If not, if I choose to have my workouts recorded so I can analyze them, I'm going to Garmin. I might as well use a cloud based program that works.
CaptainBill is offline Reply With Quote
15-09-2015, 01:59   #12
CaptainBill

Black or silver?
Does the black one work with Windows 10? Which is the newest one, black or silver?
15-09-2015, 07:39   #13
tnmb

If you need infrared support do not upgrade to Windows 10 (yet). The problem is that the IrDA adapters (and drivers) worked fine in all pre-release versions of Windows 10. Microsoft however decided to remove all IrDA stack support in the final release of Windows 10, catching all suppliers and users of this technology off guard.

This can be fixed in that the chip vendors can supply an updated driver. This however is a lot more work that it was in previous versions of windows, so it will take some time.
tnmb is offline Reply With Quote
15-09-2015, 11:24   #14
wildsau2710

According to this link (heise.de a german it related news channel):

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldu...r-2796019.html

is the problem, that Microsoft decided (for whatever reason) to remove the IrDA Stack from the final version of Windows 10. This means, before Windows 10 IrDA devices worked without any special driver. Now they have to provide a complete driver including all IrDA related stuff. This means also, that currently no IrDA device will work at all under Windows 10 (not just the Polar Stick).

In the Blog is also mentioned, that ASIX/MosChip the manufacturer of the used IrDA-Chip MCS7780 promised to provide a complete Driver / Stack implementation, but no timeline was given.

The manufacturer of the SigmaTel-Chip (used in Pre 2008 Products of Polar) will NOT provide a new driver, because it was taken over by an other company and they will not support the chipset anymore.

What's the point of all this? Despite that this is a highly unfavourable situation from a customer perspective, it is a problem for which you can hardly blame Polar and which can hardly be solved by Polar (driver development is chipset manufacturers business and not OEM's business).

Additionally, according to this link:

https://www.facebook.com/PolarGerman...977435/?type=1

Polar Germany provides an exchange program for users of an IrDA product, to replace it with a current product line item. Conditions are not mentioned and offered on individual request, but I would expect, that it is some kind of discount.
wildsau2710 is offline Reply With Quote
05-10-2015, 00:49   #15
mikij

Originally Posted by memphis_pete View Post
Yeah, no kidding! Otherwise I'm switching to another brand and this time for good, bye bye Polar
I follow! My RS800 SD is unusable without IR transfer.
07-10-2015, 00:15   #16
mikij

From Windows 10 to Windows 7 - quick fix for IrDA
OK, I just downgraded to Windows 7. I need my IrDA to work and cannot understand that neither Micro$oft nor Polar are willing to accommodate their customers.
Does Polar think that we want and need to change the watches/running computers every few years? If my watch gives me absolutely all I need i.e. programming the workouts and analyze data, why should I buy something new? Oh, yes, of course, because Polar needs my money.
At least, Microsoft gave us the opportunity to have Windows 10 for free. How about Polar? An updated driver would be the least we deserve for our loyalty.
19-10-2015, 19:45   #17
dGery

Below you can find the answer I have got from Polar support Finland concerning my question. I have bought my CS600 only 1 year ago in July 2014. I have checked and it was also manufactured in 2014 (serial number).
And now I got this as answer. Goodby Polar.

Dear Gery,

Thank you for contacting Polar Customer Care and your feedback.

Unfortunately we don't have other solution than recommend to update your Polar product to Flow compatible model.
Please contact your local Polar Distributor in Belgium.
http://www.polar.com/be-nl/support/contact/email_polar

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Best Regards,
Global Customer Care/ Birgitta
Polar Electro Oy
Finland

Your experience is important. Please click to let us know your Customer Care rating.
http://goo.gl/forms/eDbILpGQNI

Address: Polar Electro Oy
Professorintie 5, FIN-90440 Kempele, Finland
Web: www.polar.com
www.facebook.com/PolarGlobal
www.youtube.com/Polar
www.twitter.com/PolarGlobal
dGery is offline Reply With Quote
28-10-2015, 00:43   #18
mikij

After all, I decided that mu RS800 is worth of reverting to Windows 7. I have some troubles with some applications or drivers, but I don't care. My IrDA is working fine! But, when my watch fails, I'll think twice before I go for Polar again. Their products are awesome. I still consider RS800 the best running computer ever. PPT5 is also probably the best software ever. But, they don't care about us. Sorry guys, you are losing.
28-10-2015, 17:24   #19
MusicLaw

Originally Posted by mikij View Post
After all, I decided that mu RS800 is worth of reverting to Windows 7. I have some troubles with some applications or drivers, but I don't care. My IrDA is working fine! But, when my watch fails, I'll think twice before I go for Polar again. Their products are awesome. I still consider RS800 the best running computer ever. PPT5 is also probably the best software ever. But, they don't care about us. Sorry guys, you are losing.
The RS800CX and ProTrainer5 continue to dominantly reign over what the V800 and Polar Flow offer.

The saddest thing of all is that Polar could very easily have included all the functionality of their flagship RS800CX and ProTrainer5 feature set into the power and capability of the V800 and Polar Flow. They opted not to do so! Instead they massively marketed the V800 under a Chosen By Champions campaign with numerous features they have still yet to fulfill. The continuing absence of any Training Plans, Inabilty to (fully) Edit Training Sessions, an seriously lacking and feeble Import system, and abandoning prior Advanced Users of the RS800 and CS600 product lines are but a few of the ongoing problems.

Should Polar's offerings not suit your needs, you may need to wait, or look elsewhere.

I continue to use my RS800CX, CS600, FT80, V800, M400 and Loop on a Daily basis for my various workouts and my Smartphone and Tablets running the Android App version of Sports Tracker. Polar Beat and Polar Flow mobile continue to struggle with problems (read the reports and ratings on Google Play Store) and simply do meet my needs.

Training Gear:
• RS800CX PTE, CS600, Spd/Cad/G5
on MARIN® Alpine29er
• V800, M400, FT80/G1, H2 SoftStrap, Loop H7/H6
• GALAXY® S4 Active, QUAD LOCK®, Sports Tracker
• SKIER'S EDGE® QS5 BigMtn RPM
• P90X®, GoFit® PowerTube, Weights
• PERFECT® FITNESS AbCarverPro, PushUpV2 & MultiGym
• CAMELBAK®; ERGON® GP5; LUMINA 650; MARS 3
• K2® BOA MACH100; HARBINGER® 1260

• RCX5, RC3 GPS, RCX3, G3, FT60/40/7, F6, FA20, AW200, M71ti
MusicLaw is offline Reply With Quote
28-10-2015, 18:23   #20
CaptainBill

Follow the money
Music Law, you said it very well. You didn't guess as to why would they go this route. Follow the money. They continue to gather and sell data with their new products which all the happy joggers and bikers are gathering for them and providing to Polar for free. PPT5 data cannot be gathered and sold. PPT5 made money for Polar only on the day it was sold to us. Polar Flow is an endless data/revenue source. What a scam.