Polar Discussion Forum will not be available after 31 May, 2018. Learn more.

Reply
30-07-2013, 15:18   #1
Cpt. Awesome
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2
HTC One compatible
I want to buy a hart rate monitor that transmits the data to my phone while i'm running with bluetooth. I use an app called RUNKEEPER, which is a pretty awesome fast growing community and I would love to stay there.

Polar WearLink®+ transmitter with Bluetooth®
is compatible with some android phones, but the HTC One is not listed on the previously linked page (only the HTC One SV).
Since the HTC One is a flagship phone, and one of the most sold HTC's today i can't believe it wouldn't be compatible .. but I just want to be sure (since even the Samsung Galaxy S3 isn't listed in the compatible phones list)

Can someone confirm this for me? Or tell me that it's compatible with all bluetooth enabled phones and that it is linked to the Android version, rather then the phone....

Thanks very much.
- A true runner
Cpt. Awesome is offline Reply With Quote
30-07-2013, 19:24   #2
MusicLaw
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Woodland Hills, CA - U.S.A.
Posts: 6,196
Amongst the many Android smartphones and Heart Rate Monitor Apps for Android, each OEM (Hardware and Software) has been struggling with the fact that up until Google's very recent introduction and release (last week) of Android 4.3, there has not been full core support in Android for the Bluetooth Low Energy (aka Bluetooth SMART Heart Rate 4.0 spec) until now. There was a pre-existing Bluetooth version which some supported, and with which the Polar WearLink+ Bluetooth HR Sensor does work.

Polar's H7 and H6 HR Sensors are Bluetooth SMART - not the older version of Bluetooth. These will work with any of the newer Apps and Smartphones which have full support for the Bluetooth SMART spec. This will be available as of today in the Nexus devices and those which soon are to be upgraded to Android 4.3. Check with your Smartphone OEM and Carrier to see when you will have Android 4.3 on your device.

Also bear in mind that the HR Monitor App will also have to be updated to support Android 4.3.

As of today, the Apps which do support Polar's H7 and H6 - even on Android 4.2.2 are: BLE Monitor, Runalyzer and iCardio.

Polar Beat has yet to be introduced for Android.
__________________
"Commit to Transform!"©

Training Gear:
• RS800CX PTE, CS600, Spd/Cad/G5
on MARIN® Alpine29er
• V800, M400, FT80/G1, H2 SoftStrap, Loop H7/H6
• GALAXY® S4 Active, QUAD LOCK®, Sports Tracker
• SKIER'S EDGE® QS5 BigMtn RPM
• P90X®, GoFit® PowerTube, Weights
• PERFECT® FITNESS AbCarverPro, PushUpV2 & MultiGym
• CAMELBAK®; ERGON® GP5; LUMINA 650; MARS 3
• K2® BOA MACH100; HARBINGER® 1260

• RCX5, RC3 GPS, RCX3, G3, FT60/40/7, F6, FA20, AW200, M71ti
MusicLaw is offline Reply With Quote
31-07-2013, 22:26   #3
Cpt. Awesome
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2
Question answered
Well then, finally a clear answer to my question. Thanks for that!!!

So since I'm not rooted I will have to wait a while to get Android 4.3 (after HTC and my provider have put their bloatware on it). I don't even have 4.2 yet, so ...
Runkeeper is a rather popular app so I hope they update soon enough, but for now I'm gonna wait to buy one.
Cpt. Awesome is offline Reply With Quote
27-08-2013, 17:44   #4
Opie34a
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 13
According to recent news, 4.3 for HTC One should be ready by the end of September.
Opie34a is offline Reply With Quote
30-08-2013, 02:16   #5
vodoxus
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3
I just got the Wearlink+ yesterday, I believe it should be the older non LE version. ( If there is a LE Version).

With my HTC One, (4.2.2 JellyBean) , I could see the Polar HRM, and entered the pairing code.

on the bluetooth icon, it does NOT show a connection.

Entered Runkeeper. It does NOT show a Signal to HRM.

Flustered, tried with older HTC One X , then with Nexus 7 2013 Tablet.

All could pair, but couldnt get signal. Then I tried Google My Tracks, chose Polar HRM. Checked sensor state , and saw it was reading my HR!

went back to HTC One, checked my tracks, and sure enough I could get a HRM signal.

Closed that app, went back to Runkeeper, and saw the little heartbeat icon going!!! So it works,
just ...urr took a while to connect?
Might run later today or over the weekend to make sure all is good!!

Jon
vodoxus is offline Reply With Quote
30-08-2013, 18:42   #6
MusicLaw
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Woodland Hills, CA - U.S.A.
Posts: 6,196
Originally Posted by vodoxus View Post
I just got the Wearlink+ yesterday, I believe it should be the older non LE version. ( If there is a LE Version).

With my HTC One, (4.2.2 JellyBean) , I could see the Polar HRM, and entered the pairing code.

on the bluetooth icon, it does NOT show a connection.

Entered Runkeeper. It does NOT show a Signal to HRM.

Flustered, tried with older HTC One X , then with Nexus 7 2013 Tablet.

All could pair, but couldnt get signal. Then I tried Google My Tracks, chose Polar HRM. Checked sensor state , and saw it was reading my HR!

went back to HTC One, checked my tracks, and sure enough I could get a HRM signal.

Closed that app, went back to Runkeeper, and saw the little heartbeat icon going!!! So it works,
just ...urr took a while to connect?
Might run later today or over the weekend to make sure all is good!!

Jon
Glad you got it working!

The WearLink+ Bluetooth HR Sensor is the previous Bluetooth version. You are correct -- it is not Bluetooth Low Energy.

The Application(s) you choose to run -- and the devices you choose to use -- very likely may support the older (pre-existing) Bluetooth format! Many of the forthcoming devices will have BTLE support built right in! Some will also receive updates from their respective manufacturers and carriers to bring them up to BTLE 4.0 support.

In the meantime, you have a working system!
__________________
"Commit to Transform!"©

Training Gear:
• RS800CX PTE, CS600, Spd/Cad/G5
on MARIN® Alpine29er
• V800, M400, FT80/G1, H2 SoftStrap, Loop H7/H6
• GALAXY® S4 Active, QUAD LOCK®, Sports Tracker
• SKIER'S EDGE® QS5 BigMtn RPM
• P90X®, GoFit® PowerTube, Weights
• PERFECT® FITNESS AbCarverPro, PushUpV2 & MultiGym
• CAMELBAK®; ERGON® GP5; LUMINA 650; MARS 3
• K2® BOA MACH100; HARBINGER® 1260

• RCX5, RC3 GPS, RCX3, G3, FT60/40/7, F6, FA20, AW200, M71ti
MusicLaw is offline Reply With Quote
09-10-2013, 20:07   #7
dr_benny
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1
Follow-up question regarding HTC One + Polar
I'm a cyclist and I use Strava to track my training on my HTC One (4.2.2 Jelly Bean w/ Bluetooth 4.0).

I'm struggling to find a Polar heart rate monitor that would work for my setup. Can someone help?
dr_benny is offline Reply With Quote
09-10-2013, 22:41   #8
MusicLaw
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Woodland Hills, CA - U.S.A.
Posts: 6,196
Originally Posted by dr_benny View Post
I'm a cyclist and I use Strava to track my training on my HTC One (4.2.2 Jelly Bean w/ Bluetooth 4.0).

I'm struggling to find a Polar heart rate monitor that would work for my setup. Can someone help?
At this time, all Polar has to offer to Android Users are the H7 and H6 BTLE HR Sensors.
__________________
"Commit to Transform!"©

Training Gear:
• RS800CX PTE, CS600, Spd/Cad/G5
on MARIN® Alpine29er
• V800, M400, FT80/G1, H2 SoftStrap, Loop H7/H6
• GALAXY® S4 Active, QUAD LOCK®, Sports Tracker
• SKIER'S EDGE® QS5 BigMtn RPM
• P90X®, GoFit® PowerTube, Weights
• PERFECT® FITNESS AbCarverPro, PushUpV2 & MultiGym
• CAMELBAK®; ERGON® GP5; LUMINA 650; MARS 3
• K2® BOA MACH100; HARBINGER® 1260

• RCX5, RC3 GPS, RCX3, G3, FT60/40/7, F6, FA20, AW200, M71ti
MusicLaw is offline Reply With Quote
30-11-2013, 12:53   #9
wojsed
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2
I've got Nexus 4 and Polar Wearlink+ Bluetooth (not H7, H6).
My phone has got BT 4.0, but Android until 4.3 version not support BT LE.
I have got problems with see Polar IWL, paired and connecting with Polar Wearlink+ Bluetooth.
I have question:
If I have a device with BT 4.0, can I use the Polar Wearlink+ with this device, but using the older protocol? I can install version 4.2, which not supported yet BT 4.0.
wojsed is offline Reply With Quote
01-12-2013, 09:01   #10
alessusnik
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Slovenia
Posts: 226
Try 4.4 KitKat.
Even tho, there's not much documentation about this, some things changed.
I've also got a Nexus 4 and with 4.4 my Fitbit Flex can finally sync via my phone, with a beta version of the Fitbit app.

Try if 4.4 works better with Polar BT.

A.

Originally Posted by wojsed View Post
I've got Nexus 4 and Polar Wearlink+ Bluetooth (not H7, H6).
My phone has got BT 4.0, but Android until 4.3 version not support BT LE.
I have got problems with see Polar IWL, paired and connecting with Polar Wearlink+ Bluetooth.
I have question:
If I have a device with BT 4.0, can I use the Polar Wearlink+ with this device, but using the older protocol? I can install version 4.2, which not supported yet BT 4.0.
__________________
Training Gear:
• V800
• V650

Ex Training Gear:
• RCX5 with G5 GPS, Speed sensor and Cadence sensor

Sports:
• Running
• Cycling
• Swimming
alessusnik is offline Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools