26-03-2017, 18:26   #1
saschada

WearLink strap always fails after few months
Hi

Since I own Polar Sportwatches (several years) I've always had the problem that the wearlink straps fail after a very short time. Fails means the watch looses the signal during workout. With time it gets worse which renders the whole system useless!

I began to wash them very rarely but nevertheless new straps fail after approx. 3 months. I always thought it was me caring too less (couldn't imagine how though as I began to handle them with kid gloves) but at a competition another runner told me the same problem.

A warranty exchange typically takes about TWO months! Go figure...

Is there anything I can do about this problem?
Thanks
saschada is offline Reply With Quote
26-03-2017, 20:59   #2
cplix

Make sure everything at the strap around the electrodes is very wet. Also wet your skin. If you having a workout without a lot of sweating, standard electrolytic gel will work too (the same which is used during a ultrasonic examination).

I also read, that some users used acetic acid for cleaning the electrodes.

V800 • A370 • H7 • H10 • Balance • Stryd • Wahoo Elemnt Bolt • Wahoo BlueSC • Kickr Snap 2. Gen • Quarq DZero • GoPro 4 Silver
Swim 🏊 ► Bike 🚴 ► Run 🏃

Previous devices: M400, V650, RS100

Last edited by cplix : 26-03-2017 at 21:06.
cplix is offline Reply With Quote
26-03-2017, 23:45   #3
MichaelJSwann

I notice you mention the WearLink strap, the one with the meshy contacts?. They require a bit more care. When I was using the WearLink strap I could get at least 12 months out of it and that was just rinsing it after use. I rarely put one through the wash cycle on the machine. You should switch to the newer Soft Strap with the rubbery contacts. They are much more robust and last longer.

I use the Soft Strap and also just rinse it in the shower after each use. I've had well over 12 months use out of my current one without issues. It's probably closer to 2 years as it was in use with my Polar devices before I started using it with my Garmin devices 12 months ago.

Previous:
Garmin Forerunner 230, RCX5 Tour de France & G5 GPS, M450, V650, RS300X, M51, Favor
MichaelJSwann is offline Reply With Quote
27-03-2017, 02:27   #4
dmalik

I would echo the comments made by MichaelJSwann about the differences between the Earlink strap and the successor strap, the soft strap. The Wearlink strap required regular washing in soapy water or its data would get irregular. In fact, many people suggested putting it in one of those washer bags and then putting it in the regular washing machine on a gentle cycle.

The softstrap required no regular washing and we were warned by Polar not to over-wash it. I would rinse it off after a few workouts.The soft strap I've been using recently was probably a year and a half old (maybe older). Both earlier straps generated lots of spurious signals as far as I am concerned.

The real winner is the new H10. I don't know how long it will hold up, but it is remarkably sensitive, accurate, and comfortable.
Polar RCX5 Run, 2012, and S3+ and G5
Polar Loop/H7, 2013
iPhone 7 with Polar Flow app
Polar V800 Blue with BT stride sensor/H7, 2014
Polar V800 Blue with BT stride sensor/H10, 2017
Polar V800 Blue with Stryd sensor/H10, 2017
dmalik is offline Reply With Quote