08-04-2014, 18:30   #1
Pier8

Export data from FT40
Hi there!

I have recently bought Polar FT40 and used it for four training sessions by now. I think it's a good device, but the problem is it just shows mean HR and maximum HR for each training session. Since I am a Biomedical engineer, I would like to export to my computer the entire data which are acquired during each training session (e.g. heart rate sample-by-sample) in order to analyze them with particular softwares, such as Matlab or Microsoft Excel.

I have tried to do it connecting my FT40 with Polar FlowLink and using Polar Web Sync app, but I don't succeed in exporting data to my pc in this way. Infact Polar Web Sync just let me synchronize data with my account on polarpersonaltrainer.com, but doesn't allow direct access to training computer memory (the program shows an error message in which is said that my device is not supported for this function).

So my question is: is it possible to save data from a FT40 to my computer (preferibly in .TXT, .CSV or other ASCII file formats)? If it's impossible, could I get such data from polarpersonaltrainer.com or obtain graphs of heart rate variability directly on the website? Because all I can see from each training session on the website is just mean and maximum HR, but I wonder if I can obtain more with my device.

Thank you very much for your attention.
I'll wait for a reply!
Pier8 is offline Reply With Quote
08-04-2014, 19:29   #2
MusicLaw

All very good questions!

Although the FT40 displays the data during a Training Session, it only records Summary Data!

The only model in the FT series product line that actually records direct data that is available to sync to the web service is the FT80.

For the detailed information you seek, the ideal current model is the top of the line RS800CX. This has the ability to be configured to record very precise data, including R-R Interval data to a resolution of 1 millisecond. Review and analysis is best done with the included Polar ProTrainer5 PC software. No web service is required! Nonetheless, should you opt to upload the data from the RS800CX to the web service, use the free Polar WebLink software. The web service does not support anywhere as many features as Polar ProTrainer5 software.

Training Gear:
• RS800CX PTE, CS600, Spd/Cad/G5
on MARIN® Alpine29er
• V800, M400, FT80/G1, H2 SoftStrap, Loop H7/H6
• GALAXY® S4 Active, QUAD LOCK®, Sports Tracker
• SKIER'S EDGE® QS5 BigMtn RPM
• P90X®, GoFit® PowerTube, Weights
• PERFECT® FITNESS AbCarverPro, PushUpV2 & MultiGym
• CAMELBAK®; ERGON® GP5; LUMINA 650; MARS 3
• K2® BOA MACH100; HARBINGER® 1260

• RCX5, RC3 GPS, RCX3, G3, FT60/40/7, F6, FA20, AW200, M71ti
MusicLaw is offline Reply With Quote
09-04-2014, 12:21   #3
Pier8

I understand... What a pity!

Anyway thank you very much for your precise answer. I will take into account your suggestion for the future!

Could I ask you a last favour? Could you make a list of all Polar Heart Rate monitor with whom I can export HR data directly on my pc (even with a resolution lower than 1 millisecond)?
For example it seems to me that also RS400 records such data. The difference between this device and the RS800CX is that the second one records each R-R interval, while the RS400 records just a mean of the HR samples acquired during the last 1, 5, 15 or 60 seconds, isn't it?
09-04-2014, 18:45   #4
MusicLaw

Not sure about the units I don't have.

The R-R Interval feature on the RS800CX is separately enabled from the normal Recording Rate selections. The RS800, RS800CD, and RS400 may be different.

The RCX5, RC3 GPS, and RCX3 also record real time data (no R-R Interval data). WebSync allows the training session data to be Exported from the Watch to your hard drive.

Training Gear:
• RS800CX PTE, CS600, Spd/Cad/G5
on MARIN® Alpine29er
• V800, M400, FT80/G1, H2 SoftStrap, Loop H7/H6
• GALAXY® S4 Active, QUAD LOCK®, Sports Tracker
• SKIER'S EDGE® QS5 BigMtn RPM
• P90X®, GoFit® PowerTube, Weights
• PERFECT® FITNESS AbCarverPro, PushUpV2 & MultiGym
• CAMELBAK®; ERGON® GP5; LUMINA 650; MARS 3
• K2® BOA MACH100; HARBINGER® 1260

• RCX5, RC3 GPS, RCX3, G3, FT60/40/7, F6, FA20, AW200, M71ti
MusicLaw is offline Reply With Quote
10-04-2014, 22:32   #5
Pier8

No problem, I will check by myself the devices you are not sure about.

Thank you for the useful replies!